Did you know:
DWI has a new meaning?
Driving while “Intexticated”
More than 35 million people are expected to hit the road for the long Labor Day weekend, according to AAA.
Driving always involves risks, but when the roads are jammed with holiday travelers, the risks increase. That’s why AT&T is reminding ALL wireless users to use #X to pause the texting before getting behind the wheel.
The #X message is a component of the It Can Wait movement started by AT&T in 2009. #X lets others know that you’re about to drive and can’t respond. Celebrities, including Demi Lovato and the band R5, are helping to spread the message in public service announcements and videos. (See below).
Using #X is easy:
- Open Settings, Scroll to and select General
- Scroll to and select Keyboard, then select Add New Shortcut
- In the Phrase field, type the phrase you’d like to create a short for, such as “#X I’m about to drive. Will text you when I’m done!”
- In the Shortcut field, type “#X”. Select Save on the top right
- With the Google keyboard already open on your screen, long-press the microphone button for the settings icon, then tap on the Google Keyboard Settings.
- Select the Personal dictionary and then select the + icon in the top right.
- Enter a long phrase like: “#X I’m about to drive. Will text you when I’m done.”
- For your shortcut text use: “#X”
- If you have multiple languages set up, you may want to change the language dropdown to target all languages.
- Hit the back button.
And if you haven’t done so yet, please take the It Can Wait pledge to never text and drive. To date more than 5 million people have taken the pledge!
Remember, no text is worth a life!
Courtesy of AT&T.